Poker Face

We had a great weekend filled with all of my favorite things – nice weather, good friends, and hot dogs!

Friday night, after a marine happy hour, JR and I tried a new restaurant (new to us) called Tokyo. We needed to find a new go-to place for chicken fried rice since Pacific Rim closed. Tokyo was decent, JR really liked his dinner and mine was okay. I’m sure we’ll go back.

We were in a hurry to get home and watch Sharknado. What an epic film. It was totally ridiculous and amazing all at the same time. It’s like the producers weren’t interested in continuity, script, and certainly not reality. I loved it. It was a lovely little night, until we went to bed.

Occasionally, JR snores. Most of the time it doesn’t bother me because I fall asleep first, or I can just kick gently nudge him until he stops. Something went terribly wrong Friday night because none of my tricks were working and I could not fall asleep. I’m not a nice person when I’m tired and I need sleep. There was nothing I could do to wake him up. Aside from being upset that I couldn’t fall asleep, I also began to have serious concerns about him sleeping right through a disaster, like a Sharknado.

At the height of my frustration, I sent him an e-mail. That was at 1am. I’m not sure what I thought the e-mail would do, considering he was asleep beside me as I furiously typed away. When I was still awake 30 minutes later, I sent him a second e-mail letting him know that I was going to the other bedroom to sleep. That would really show him, I thought. Funny enough, he didn’t wake up and didn’t seem all that concerned when he woke up in the morning. Upon reflection, the e-mails maybe weren’t my most mature moments, but it made sense at the time.

On Saturday, we went over to our friend Katie’s house for a cookout. Katie’s neighborhood has a pool, so JR was excited to try that out, while I stayed back to help her get the food ready. There was a ton of great food – perogies, BBQ chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs (my favorite), tater tots (a crowd favorite), and salad and cake. After we ate, some of us relaxed while others showed off their football skills.



We started a poker game around 8:30. Poker is not in my skill set. I usually only think it’s fun for about an hour, and then I’m ready to do something else. Me wanting to quit early was complicated by the fact that JR and I needed to share a cab ride home together, so I tried to be more committed to the game. Then I got some good cards, and to my surprise (and everyone else’s) I started winning. Suddenly, I wanted to win! But then it was midnight. And then it was 1am, and my desire to win was fading FAST. Finally around 2am, the last person went out, leaving just JR and I. We decided to split the winnings and call it a night. So technically, I tied, but I think it’s better to say that I won.

JR joked that the money I won was the first income I’ve had in two months. Maybe if I don’t find a job I could turn into a professional poker player?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s